I headed over to the pantry at work the other day to get some coffee.
I opened the fridge to get my milk and I noticed the fridge was completely stuffed! It looks like more and more people are bringing their own lunch to work these days.
By no means is this a scientific study, but if I had to guess, the current economy is spooking many of us and we feel the need to cut back on expenses where we can.
I’ve been bringing lunch to work a few days a week and I tend to get a comment here there such as “Yeah, I gotta start doing that myself!” It looks like more people now are.
We hear about the economy in the news and sometimes all of the big numbers go past without much notice.
So Circuit City is closing? I’ll get my electronics elsewhere. It’s hard to see how the news affects you and your neighbors. Even all the talk about the economic stimulus doesn’t always equate to how it will affect me and the person sitting at the cube across from me.But seeing the fridge full knocks it home! The economy is affecting us whether we like it or not.
It’s the little things, like bringing lunch to work, that show us how the economy is concerning us.
Some other things you may notice around you:
- More people using the company coffee machine rather than getting from outside.
- Less talk about getting a brand new car.
- Less talk about vacations. Or the vacations are scaled down.
- The big lunches are smaller. Maybe still going out but not to the more expensive places.
- More carpooling.
- Taking less expensive forms of public transportation or even walking. My wife has been picking me up a few times to help lower costs.
- You don’t see as much new clothes on people.
- Your co-workers don’t go out as much after work.
- More talk about at least having a job.
- Instead of hearing about the brand new gadget someone bought you hear about the great deal they got.
What little things have you started to notice around work as a result of the economy?