The Platinum Card® from American Express has been around since 1984, but it has no problem keeping up with the changing wants and needs of its affluent customers. The company’s goal is to ensure that the customer is taken care of, and that through benefits and points, the card will pay for itself.
While all the cards offer excellent benefits, the Platinum card’s Membership Rewards First program specifically focuses on making travel easier and less stressful (making it an excellent travel rewards card).
First off, understand that the American Express Platinum Card® is a charge card not a credit card. This means you will be paying your balance off monthly. That’s great since you won’t pay any interest on the card. It also means there’s no pre-set spending limit (thought that doesn’t mean unlimited spending).
Some of the most exciting benefits in the rewards program for the Platinum card are:
• Earn 25K Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 during your first three months of Card membership
• Premium travel benefits: access over 600 lounges worldwide when you enroll in Priority Pass(TM)Select, no foreign transaction fees
• Receive up to $200 annually in a statement credit with the airline of your choice to use towards baggage fees, flight-change fees, in-flight food and beverage purchases and more
• 24/7 Platinum Card® Concierge service for assistance with reservations, travel, gifts, and more
• Entertainment benefits: get Advance Tickets before the public and access once in a lifetime events with By Invitation Only®
• Terms and restrictions apply.
The travel benefits are truly one-of-a-kind, making this card a premier card for frequent travelers.
- Airport club access to airport lounges including American Airlines Admirals Club®, Delta Sky Club®, and US Airways® clubs as part of the Airport Club Access Program. This is for you and your guests.
- Use your Platinum Card abroad without the foreign transaction fees many other cards charge.
- Complimentary benefits at over 700 hotels worldwide.
- Companion tickets with the purchase of a business class ticket (specific requirements are needed).
- $400 in benefits on your next cruise purchase (when booked through Platinum Travel Service).
- Expert travel consultants who plan every detail of your trip with you in mind.
- Customized travel itineraries, guided tours, and many other exciting experiences when booked through Platinum Travel Service.
- Limousine Program that gives you triple rewards points while you enjoy the benefit of having a private car and driver.
- Private Villas on your next vacation.
- A statement credit of $100 once yearly with a qualifying cruise or vacation purchase.
- Private jet travel and extra benefits with whichever private jet option you choose.
- $200 airline fee credit, so you can check your bags or order an in-flight meal and American Express will reimburse you up to $200 a year.
- 20% travel bonus – every time you use your points to book a vacation, you get 20% of those points credited back to your account.
- American Express Travel App, a complimentary mobile application that acts as a personal travel assistant.
Expedite your international airport arrivals
The Platinum Card can help you save time in bypassing arrival lines at most major U.S. airports when you return from international traveling. If you use your card to apply for Global Entry, American Express will waive the fee (a $100 statement credit will be given) and your membership in the program will be valid for 5 years (American Express has no control on whether you will be accepted to the Global Entry program).
What is Global Entry? It’s a U.S. government program that allows expedited clearance for pre-approved travelers. See more at Global Entry – http://www.globalentry.gov/.
Is the Platinum Card for everyone?
Is it THE best card to have? It depends on how you will use it.
Is it cheap? Not at all (the annual fee is $450).
But if you are one who would use the benefits then this card can more than pay for itself. For example, if you book your hotel stay through Platinum Travel Service, you get up over $450 in upgrade benefits. Use just one time, and you have offset the cost of the card, but you will get this upgrade not just once, but every time you book your hotel through them.
Don’t get this charge card just because it carries some kind of mysterious prestige.
That’s a waste. Get this card if the benefits will pay for themselves and you value the backing and customer service that American Express is famous for.
Honestly, if you are seriously considering the American Express Platinum Card then a) your budget probably won’t be affected much by the annual fee, and b) the value of the card is what you are looking for.
There are so many cards available to choose from, but don’t you want the one that treats you to the best travel benefits, without the stress of blackout dates or restrictions?
Wouldn’t it be nice to have the card that allows you to upgrade your vacation, customize your itinerary, and give you personalized service on all your vacations? If so, the card for you will always be the American Express Platinum.
Apply now for The Platinum Card® from American Express or click for more information on the card.
*As you always should, make sure you read through the card details to make sure this card fits your needs and you understand the terms and conditions. Be aware that the terms may change after this article’s publication.
Disclaimer: This content is not provided or commissioned by American Express. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone, not those of American Express, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by American Express. This site may be compensated through American Express Affiliate Program.