Would you like a credit card that didn’t hit you with a ton of fees? Maybe even a card that was fair to its users? How about a card with generous cash back? Let’s add in customer service from a company known for its customer loyalty?
Mix that all together and you get the Discover it® card.
Discover set out to make an all-in-one card made up of the best qualities that consumers are looking for. They created an all new line of cards: the Discover it card.
Let’s take a look at some quick basics of the Discover it card before we get to our review:
- The new Discover it card is out to change the way people think about credit cards.
- Fair…No annual fee. No overlimit fee. No foreign transaction fee & no pay-by-phone fee. No late fee on your first late payment. And we won’t increase your APR for paying late.*
- Generous…5% Cashback Bonus on up to $1,500 in purchases at Home Improvement Stores now through June with free and easy sign-up. And 1% cash back on all other purchases.*
- Plus a Cashback ConciergeSM who guides a free, personalized online tour to help you get the most rewards for how you use your card.
- Flexible…Choose your own due date and pay up to midnight ET online or by phone.
- Human…talk to a real person any time with 100% U.S.-based service.
- Safe…Because you’ll never pay for unauthorized purchases with our $0 Fraud Liability Guarantee.
- 0% Intro APR* on purchases and balance transfers for 14 months. Then the variable purchase APR applies, currently 10.99%-22.99%. *Click apply for Terms & Conditions.
Let’s dig a little deeper now…
A Fair Card
Discover set out to make a card that was fair to consumers as well as add in the qualities they found people wanted most from a card. In doing so they created a card with no annual fee, no overlimit fee, no pay-by-phone fee (how annoying is that on some cards?), and no foreign transaction fee (nice when you travel outside the U.S. where you could get hit with a 2-3% average fee).
Ever get your payment in just late enough to get hit with a late fee? Ughh, I hate that! Well the Discover it card has no late fee on your first late payment.
Should you do everything you can to make sure you pay on time? Sure. But paying late happens to the best of us. It’s nice to know you won’t have to sweat a late fee or the call to the credit card company asking for it to be removed.
Also, Discover won’t raise your APR for paying late.* With other cards you pay late and they jack up your APR basically at their leisure. Again you should do your best to pay on time, but at least you won’t have to sweat an APR jump if you do happen to pay late. Discover, like some other cards, has caught on that sometimes we pay late, even with the best of intentions, and we shouldn’t be severely penalized as a result.
A Safe Card
You won’t have to worry about fraudulent purchases with your card. Discover gives consumers a 0$ Fraud Liability Guarantee. You’ll never be responsible for charges you didn’t authorize.
A Generous Card
Cardmembers earn 5% Cashback Bonus® on categories that change each quarter up to the quarterly maximum. Currently you earn 5% at hime improvement stores through June on up to $1,500 in purchases. Make sure you sign up each quarter, which is free and easy to do. All other purchases earn 1% cash back.* Now this is cash back you’re getting, not points. Over the course of a year that cash back starts to add up nicely. Would you like to know how you can get the most from your rewards? Use Discover’s Cash Back ConciergeSM which will guide you on a one-on-one online tour to show you how to get the most from your card based on how you use your card.
A Flexible Card
Ever have a due date that just didn’t fit well with your cash flow? You can usually call an issuer and ask if they can change the date. But Discover lets you choose your due date as part of its card. You also have until midnight ET on the due date to pay online or by phone. (Man, I hate when I go to pay a bill and I see the cutoff is like 5 when of course it’s already after 6 when I’m paying.)
A Human Card
Ever have to call some customer service and you go through a ton of computer options when you know you need to speak with a human being? Discover is saying you can have immediate acces to a live U.S.-based customer representative when you call whenever you need to discuss your account.
On top of everything else most consumers would want the Discover it card is offering up an introductory 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers for 14 months.* If you have a balance elsewhere, transferring it to an intro 0% APR card is a great way to pay down the balance instead of paying interest. And if you have a big purchase coming up then you get over a year to pay it off without interest.
It looks like Discover achieved their goal in creating a nice all-around card. With its lack of fees in many areas, its cash back rewards, and intro APR the Discover it card looks like a card that hits on most bases. If are looking for something specific, like airline miles, then look elsewhere. But if you need a card that does a little bit of everything for your purchases then take a serious look at the Discover it card.
Apply now for the Discover it® card.
* See the online credit card application for details about terms and conditions. Reasonable efforts are made to maintain accurate information. However all credit card information is presented without warranty. When you click on the “Apply Now” button, you can review the credit card terms and conditions on the issuer’s website. Discover is a paid advertiser of this site.