ShareBuilder has undergone a facelift! Not only has their parent company, ING DIRECT, redesigned the site to make it easier to use, they have also renamed it – ING DIRECT Investing.
It’s still the same awesome site it’s been when it was created over 10 years ago. Their goal has remained the same: Bring Wall Street to Main Street.
I think they have succeeded. They make it easy for the average investor to invest in the market.
So why a redesign and rebrand?
In a survey conducted by Harris Interactive on behalf of ING DIRECT, it was found that more than 4 in 10 investors found that the amount of information available to them for research was “complicated,” “confusing,” or “overwhelming.” (Source: PR Newswire.)
According to ING DIRECT President and CEO, Arkadi Kuhlmann, “ING DIRECT Investing solves the issue of complexity and confusion by eliminating unnecessary bells and whistles and investing jargon.”
ING DIRECT is aiming to make investing easier with their new design by cutting out the confusing market lingo and confusing market charts.
What’s new in ING DIRECT Investing?
- Cutting out complexity – A wider and cleaner site that is free of unnecessary, confusing terms, and offers up an easier-to-use online and mobile experience.
- New research – More focus on the information you need and less of the clutter. A new floating toolbar at the bottom of the site lets users see the latest market quotes, news, and glance at their portfolio. Investors have information from Standard & Poor’s, TheStreet.com, and Sabrient available to them to make investing decisions.
- Enhanced portfolio management – New portfolio tools let investors see their portfolio by sector, region, assets and market cap. You also have the option for deeper analysis which gives performance ratios, returns, key ratings, and historical pricing and volume.
- Greater ING DIRECT integration – Customers with ING DIRECT banking accounts are automatically connected with ING DIRECT Investing (you used to have to opt in to connect the accounts). Users can instantly transfer money between banking and investing accounts and they can see all of their bank accounts on the investing site.
- MyNavigator – This is ING DIRECT Investing’s new education center that contains videos and tutorials on common investing questions to help out investors navigate the often confusing world of investing.
I’ve been using ShareBuilder for years now to buy stocks. I love the fact that I can buy fractional shares (that means you can buy a piece of one share, which is useful for companies that have expensive shares) and have my dividends automatically re-invested (another option is to get the dividends in cash but I’d rather buy more shares and have my stock portfolio grow). I also get $4 trades using their Automatic Investing plans. There are also no minimums for their accounts, which means I don’t’ have to tie up a large sum of money with them just to start investing (or to get a low trading price).
I haven’t tried it, but ING DIRECT Investing also has a new free mobile applications for the iPhone®, Blackberry® and Android™ platforms.
From ING DIRECT Investing President Dan Greenshields: “Invest your money, not your life. At ING DIRECT Investing, we don’t want Main Street investors to be forced to spend entire weekends trying to manage their portfolios when they could be focusing on what really matters, like their family. ING DIRECT Investing and the next generation of ShareBuilder deliver just the information and tools Americans need to make good financial decisions in a smart, effective and simple way.”
Wait, there’s also the new account bonus!
New investors who sign up are eligible for a $50 account bonus. To earn the bonus, make sure you use the promo code 50LS12 when you sign up. You need to deposit at least $2,000 into your account. You will receive your bonus about 4-6 after your initial deposit.
This current bonus expires 06/30/12. Click on any of the banners in this article to sign up for an account.
Here’s the fine print for the new account bonus: You must open a new ShareBuilder account and deposit $2,000 or more to be eligible for this promotion. Initial deposit must be completed by 6/30/12. ING DIRECT Investing will deposit a $50 bonus approximately 4-6 weeks after your first $2,000 deposit. The $50 bonus offer is available for Individual, Joint and Custodial accounts only. Offer not valid for IRAs or ESAs. The $50 bonus is not available for withdrawal for 90 days after it is awarded to your account. This offer is not valid with any other offers and is non-transferrable. Limit one ShareBuilder account bonus per unique customer or custodial beneficiary. We reserve the right to terminate this offer at any time and to refuse or recover any promotion award if we determine that it was obtained under wrongful or fraudulent circumstances, that inaccurate or incomplete information was provided in opening the account, or that any terms of our Account Agreement have been violated. Offer expires 6/30/12.