Unemployment Extensions In Jeopardy – What Long Term Jobless Should Consider Doing

Congress is racing against the clock to renew extended unemployment benefits.

Democrats in the House and Senate would like to renew the current program, allowing the unemployed in the hardest hit states like California and Illinois, to collect unemployment insurance for a maximum of 99 weeks.

If the GOP’s plan goes through, these states will see that maximum cut by 40 weeks, leaving millions of people in an even tougher financial crisis.  If Congress doesn’t move fast, about 6 million people will lose benefits.

How unemployment extended benefits work

Continue Reading

Occupy Movement Protests: A Revolution or a Waste of Time?

Unless you’re completely oblivious to all news outlets, chances are you’ve heard of the recent Occupy Movement protests in the U.S.

It all started on September 17, 2011 with the New York General Assembly.  Over one thousand people assembled and “occupied” in Liberty Square in the Manhattan Financial District to express their outrage and “a feeling of mass injustice” that the 1% of the richest people in America are making hard, selfish decisions, negatively affecting the other 99% of the country.  This commenced the Occupy Wall Street movement that we hear so much about in the news.

Some of these injustices include, but are not limited to: Continue Reading

20 Kids and Counting: How to Have a Large and Frugal Family

Happy Toes

I’m sure you’ve heard of the show 17 Kids and Counting, then changed to 18 and 19 with new additions. Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar are expecting yet another child in April 2012.

That will make number 20 for the conservative Christian couple!

With two sets of fraternal twins, Michelle has been pregnant much more than the average woman.  They do not use birth control, instead, leaving their family size up to God.  With shows like Jon and Kate Plus 8 and the outrage Octomom caused, there are many people both intrigued and outraged at families the size of classrooms.

The Duggar children range in age from 23 years old to 23 months old, and there’s even a grandbaby!  How do you fit that many kids in 1 house?  Every teen couldn’t possibly get their own car, can they?  And how on Earth are they coming up with so many names that start with J?!
Continue Reading

9 Things to Do When You Retire

Retirement is a stage in life that everyone in the rat race looks forward to.

It proves that you paid your dues to society, worked for a lengthy period, and it’s now time to open up the next chapter in your life.

Previously, when people retired, they didn’t have as much time to enjoy it.  There wasn’t much to do, and they weren’t expected to live very long afterwards.  With improvements in technology and health, people are living longer, and in some cases, are retired longer than they spent working!

So how can you spend your days with your new found freedom?

Here are 9 things to do when you retire:

Continue Reading

Netflix Price Hike: Your Netflix Alternatives

family watching movie

A little while back, Internet subscription service Netflix, known for providing movies and television shows by DVD or streaming option, informed their 25 million users that they would be increasing the prices of their plans.  Netflix was a popular option for movie buffs, as they had affordable options to watch movies, first by sending DVD rentals to the subscriber’s mailbox.  They then offered virtual streaming of movies and television shows through the Internet and other media devices and game consoles.  Fans of Netflix were furious to know that popular plans would now be more expensive.  What Netflix alternatives are out there now that they raised their prices? Continue Reading

Free Newsletter to Keep you Free From Broke!Name: Email: We respect your email privacyPowered by AWeber email marketing