Do you shop Amazon? Are you taking college classes? If you answered yes two both then you may be eligible to sign up for Amazon Student!
Let’s look at what Amazon Student is all about:
– Free to sign up. Basically all you need to do is provide your .edu email address as proof you are a student (more on signing up further down).
– You get free 2-day shipping with Amazon Prime for most items on Amazon. Two Days!! No waiting 5-9 business days for your order to be delivered. Plus, Amazon Prime normally costs $79 a year.
– Unlimited use. If you wanted to order an item a day you could.
– No minimum order. This is the huge benefit to me! Usually to get free shipping you have to have an order that’s $25 minimum. What this tends to mean is you have one item you really want that’s less than $25 and then you have to go look for something else to hit the $25 level. And then it’s only standard shipping which means waiting 5-9 business days.
– You can upgrade to one-day shipping for $3.99. Extra expense? Yes. But sometimes being able to get an item in one day is well worth the cost of not running out of the house (and packing up the kids and such!).
– Emails for exclusive deals. There could be a good deal of email promotions. Perhaps that’s why they offer this? But so far I can’t say I’ve received any more emails from Amazon than normal.
– If you are already an Amazon Prime user, then you can still sign up and you will have the remaining Amazon Prime months refunded to you.
So what do you need to sign up for Amazon Student?
Provide you school, your major, and a valid .edu email address. The .edu email is critical! Amazon will send a validation email to your .edu address to confirm you are a student. After that though, all emails will go to the email address you have on account.
Tip: Most email providers these days will allow you to forward your emails to another address. I have my .edu emails forwarded to my personal email to make sure I don’t miss anything important from school because I haven’t checked in on my .edu mail.
Should you sign up for Amazon Student?
I think this offer is awesome! I already use Amazon often; I’ve alwasy been happy with them. In fact it’s one of the first places I go to comparison shop and check out reviews. But sometimes there’s something I want that’s less than $25 and I don’t want to buy more so I won’t bother buying with Amazon. Other times I need something sooner than 5-9 business days and I don’t want to pay for quicker shipping. Amazon Student fixes that. I’ve already ordered a few items. The deliveries were true to form and arrived on time. Buying with Amazon Student saved us in finding more items to buy and meet the free shipping minimum as well as not having to go out to the strip mall and get what I needed.
Be warned though – If you are an impulse shopper Amazon Student could be dangerous. It’s very easy to want to buy things knowing you will have them delivered in a couple of days.
In all, I think this is a great plan for students. If you are a student with an .edu email then you should really look into Amazon Student! (Make sure you read the details of Amazon Student before signing up!)
Check out and sign up for Amazon Student!
It’s weird that Amazon is starting to offer this even though a lot of colleges and universities aren’t giving out email addresses anymore.
Really? I find that my university gets more web savvy each semester. I didn’t even know I had an .edu address until last semester.
Yeah, lot of big names schools are handing them out to incoming freshman anymore.
With the launch of AmazonStudent in Germany, Amazon now allows student to sign up for Amazon Student in both US and Germany even without a university email address. This doesn’t mean that anyone can sign up for the program. You still need to supply documents to Amazon Customer Service about you being a valid student of a recognised college, and you will not be asked to enter any email during sign up!